Effective Board Governance
This course introduces participants to the essentials of Board Governance. It is tailored for people who serve (or are considering serving) on a board as a director (head of organisation) or board member whether state-owned companies, corporate, non-profit, or as a volunteer. The focus of this course is to make sure you know your rights, obligations, and duties as a board member or director and you can practice “good board governance”. You will understand the purpose and role of good board governance practices, including the duties and responsibilities of board members, consensus on lines of communication and communication norms within and between board and management, what you should know about the organization, what might go wrong (common causes of conflict), the ways to enhance functional collaboration and mutuality within the board and with management.
Group members serving on the same board can take this course, for a tailor-made preference, or by individuals and at any life cycle of the Board.
What you will learn—the key topics
- Introduction to Boards and Board Governance
- Basics of Governance in relation to Good Board Governance
- Board designs and structures in different organisation types and levels
- The core mandate, roles, duties, rights, and responsibilities of board members
- Board Decision-Making Frameworks in different organisations
- Board relations with key stakeholders and why they are important
- Communication lines and norms within and between board and management
- Common causes of conflicts ways of maintaining mutuality