Essential Research Skills for Evidence based Advocacy
What the course offers
This one-week research fundamentals course is crafted for practitioners who depend on evidence research to better raise the profile of an issue, to bring to light the needs of a particular community or segment of the population, to protect citizens from physical or economic harm, to raise awareness on a deadly disease before it becomes epidemic, or to critically examine public policy, intervention and its effects on society, expose public service mal-administration or corrupt officials, among others.
What you will learn – the key topics
- Fundamentals of methods in social science research
- Tools and approaches to participatory evidence research
- Techniques for public action research, issue-based studies
- Gathering data on trends in public opinion and public interest
- Testing government policy solutions with opposition policy options
- Techniques for access to information for research purposes
- Documenting complaints on social services as research evidence
- Social accountability, social audits and citizen score cards
- Using research outcomes to influence public policy
By the end of the course participants will learn:
- The best way to gather and use evidence to influence legislators and other policy makers.
- To hold officials and corporations accountable for their actions.
- To change the behavior or methods of human service providers, or to increase public awareness.
- To apply practical tools to answer key questions on research and evidence: What we mean by research for advocacy, why research for advocacy, when the right time is to conduct advocacy research, and how should advocacy research be conducted?
Governance and development practitioners who depend on evidence research to raise the profile of citizen concerns and community issues
|Tuition Fee||$ 350|
|Full board in a single room(meals & Accommodation)||$471 per week|
|Full board in a shared room(meals & Accommodation)||US$339 per week|
|Hostel Quad plus Meals per week||US$118 per week|