Job Opportunity: Director of Operations for MS TCDC
In this role, you will contribute to ensuring that the financial and administrative functions of a medium-sized training and convening facility are well-managed and retaining the highest standards.
ActionAid Denmark – TCDC
ActionAid Denmark (AADK) fights poverty by promoting the political empowerment of the world’s poor. AADK supports long-term development work, education programs and campaigns as well as cross border exchange of experience and knowledge between people. Please see further information here: www.ms.dk.
Training Centre for Development Cooperation (TCDC) located in Usa River, Arusha, Tanzania, is part of AADK. The Centre employs more than over 100 full-time staff and associates/consultants and provides high-quality transformative development training and consultancy services to Action Aid International (AAI) and other civil society organizations (CSOs) and their partners. The Centre also offers Swahili language and African culture orientation courses, academic programs, rental of the conference, lodging, and boarding facilities. Please find more information here: www.mstcdc.or.tz.
The position, responsibilities, and tasks
The Director of Operations has the day-to-day responsibility for all financial and administrative (F&A) matters. S/he will be responsible for achieving the set goals within F&A including financial, HR or procedural objectives. And s/he is responsible for ensuring that guidelines and procedures are followed as set by MS AADK, in close collaboration with the Finance Department of MS AADK.
The Director of Operations reports to the Executive Director of TCDC, who has the final responsibility at the executive level. The Executive Director, Programs Director and Director of Operations make up the Leadership Team of TCDC and thus contribute to the overall management and development of the Centre. The Operations and Programs Directors are jointly responsible for the day to day business of TCDC under the leadership of the Executive Director. The Director of Operations assumes the deputy function as Acting Executive Director when relevant.
The Director of Operations has direct responsibility for a team comprising six operating units/departments, namely; Finance, Services Quality, Catering, Front Office and Course Administration, Facility Management and Human Resources. Each unit/department has a Team Leader/Manager who reports directly to the Director of Operations.
An illustrative listing of the tasks entailed will include:
- Oversee the preparations and update of budgets in collaboration with TCDC department heads, including monthly follow-up.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual accounts and report in a timely manner to AADK in line with the AADK standards.
- Oversee the annual audit
- Maintaining TCDC’s financial and administrative software (NAV and CRM).
- Oversee the development of relevant financial management reports for decision making.
Front Office & Course Administration:
- Maintain and update guidelines in all areas of TCDC.
- Oversee the provision of administrative support for front office and course administration.
- Support the facilities management function
- Oversee internal and external procurement of services and good for the entire Centre.
- Implement and maintain IT infrastructure at TCDC, including continued digitalization of administrative functions.
- Support cost-effectiveness and quality of service delivery by the Finance, Catering, Facilities and Front Office and Course Administration.
- Ensure high quality standard of TCDC services as per Centre’s policies and maintain all customer satisfaction.
- Ensure smooth management of the Catering section in order to achieve its objectives of providing a high standard catering service to TCDC customers and other users.
- Oversee the HR function within TCDC.
- Support the maintenance and development of HR structural framework, such as personnel reports, annual staff appraisals and interviews and oversight over staff leave.
- Oversee implementation of all relevant AA/AADK policies in areas such as SHEA, Code of Conduct, Procurement, Anti-Corruption, Health and Safety, and Security.
- Initiate bi-annual negotiations with the trade union (RAAWU).
- Work with relevant staff to support new business opportunities and facilitate return-business to achieve revenue goals.
- Support Fundraising and Partnership functions by participating in the development and management of relationships to secure investment and sustainability of programs
Day to day responsibilities:
On a typical day the Director of Operations will be required to address a few personnel related issues; monitor maintenance works on campus; seek solutions to IT accessibility concerns, provide mentoring support to a staff member and oversee the preparation of reporting on finances. Aside of this you will be expected to participate in regular meetings including:
- Weekly TCDC Leadership Team meetings
- Monthly TCDC Management Forum meetings
- Bi-monthly AADK/TCDC Technical Committee meetings
- Bi-annual Partnership Board meetings
The Director of Operations must be prepared to be both hands-on and strategic, i.e. s/he will be involved in both solving and overseeing concrete tasks and in more overall leadership issues such as business development and strategy development. It will be considered an asset if s/he has a commercial mindset and have experience from a social enterprise.
To fulfill this position, s/he will need to lead and manage a streamlined operational setup, which supports the program activities of the Centre based on a high level of service and well-functioning systems and structures. But s/he will also need to contribute to the overall success of the Centre by demonstrating strategic leadership and help develop the business of TCDC e.g. by seeking out new growth opportunities in both training offers and in auxiliary areas such as support services and rental of facilities.
In order for the Director of Operations to be successful in this position, we consider the following qualifications as needed:
- Degree in Business/Economics, or relevant education.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with financial management, budgeting, and accounting. Experience with personnel administration.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Moreover, the following criteria are desirable:
- Prior working experience in Africa.
- Knowledge of development work, intercultural cooperation and conflict resolution.
- Knowledge of Danish Finance legislation and auditing principles
- Previous experience in a business enterprise or a training Centre.
- Knowledge on marketing training services.
- Knowledge of oral and written Swahili
- Knowledge of personal data protection as well as IT systems such as Microsoft office, Microsoft Office 365, CRM systems, and Navision.
The Director of Operations should possess the following personal qualities:
- Ability to delegate responsibility and involving employees in decision making and work planning.
- Cultural and social sensitivity and ability to work and cooperate with a wide range of different groups in a multicultural team.
- Well-developed communication skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to put in the extra effort when needed.
- Political and diplomatic flair and entrepreneurial instincts.
- You are aware of your own efficiency, possess initiative and know how to prioritize tasks, whether these are your own or those of your team members. You work with a positive and open outlook, even in tense, high pressure situations.
- You see and acknowledge your colleagues and challenge them with constructive criticism, align expectations and reduce waste and bottlenecks.
- The position is offered under TCDC’s employment policy with a fixed term contract of three (3) years with the possibility of extension depending on the future programmatic focus and needs of TCDC.
- The position is based in Arusha, Tanzania, in a dynamic working environment with non-formal atmosphere.
- A basic salary under ActionAid International's salary system – grade F, relocation and education allowance when relevant.
- Housing is provided by TCDC.
- The Director of Operations will live and work in a well-functioning, beautiful and largely cosmopolitan campus.
- Flexible working hours, ensuring a good work/life balance.
Application and other information
Please submit your application and resume by 20th of November, 2020. Should you be invited for interview the 1st round of interviews will be on 3rd of December, 2020 and second interviews on the 10th of December, 2020. Expected starting date is on 1st of February, 2021 depending on the COVID-19-related travel restrictions.
Would you like to know more about the position? Please contact Wilfred Muhere at email@example.com
We only accept application submitted through our online recruitment system. Please use link/button below.