GAIN KNOWLEDGE AND TOOLS TO EFFECTIVELY ENGAGE MOVEMENTS.
"Building a Movement Mindset" is an intensive and immersive training program focused on fostering a comprehensive understanding of the dynamics and importance of social movements in achieving systemic change. This training is designed to help CSOs and their workers change their organizational culture and practices to better understand and support social movements. It is a transformative journey that will equip you with the knowledge and tools necessary to engage with and support social movements effectively without compromising their integrity.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
This training is open to two main groups:
- Partner Organizations (Scholarship-Based): ActionAid SPA II partners can send representatives to the training with scholarships provided.
- Open for Self-Sponsorship: For other CSOs and individuals, self-sponsorship allows you to attend the training. (See the fees breakdown below)
FEES FOR THE COURSE (FOR SELF-SPONSORED PARTICIPANTS)
WHY YOU SHOULD ATTEND
By Attending this training you will gain:
- A deeper understanding of social movements and why organizing and people power are essential change strategies.
- Learn multiple ways to engage with and support social movements while avoiding compromising their integrity and strategic power in the process e.g NGO-nizing movements.
- Insights into the changes in organizational culture and practices needed to align with social movements e.g. rapid response mechanisms, guidelines to financial transfers that respect the organic nature of movements and activist emergency response (safe-housing)
- Enhanced motivation and ability to work effectively with social movements.
COME JOIN US IF YOU HAVE:
- Some experience ?Past experience with/supporting social movements or informal groups Concrete plans and resources for work involving social movements, youth activism, or organizing.
- Sign off from senior leadership in your organization to attend and implement the lessons from the training.
- Training Date: 18th - 22nd March 2024
- Application Deadline: 22nd February 2024
For self-sponsored participants, ensure you meet the self-sponsorship requirements outlined on the application form.
If you have any questions or need further information, please contact:
Monicah Kamandau at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thompson Luzendi at email@example.com
About MOVE - The Global Social Movement Center and the trainers
MOVE is ActionAid’s Global Social Movement Center - MOVE implements, designs or pilots specific support mechanisms together with social movements, in order to address the lack of strategic capacity and tailored support mechanisms that enable better and safer impact of social movement work. MOVE provides a Social Movement Ecosystem for Human Rights Defenders and their movements to be supported in all aspects of their work through the full lifespan of their movements. Currently, it entails an integrated set of capacity strengthening activities for activists in social movements, core movement support functions to social movements, including funding and action research on relevant movements trends..
- Thompson Luzendi
- Monicah Kamandau
- Andrew Karamagi
- Phil Wilmot
Read the primary background material developed by MOVE - The Global Social Movement Center “Building a movement mindset” here.
The purpose of this guide is to help CSOs and others change organizational culture and practice to better understand and support social movements so they can achieve systemic change together. This movement mindset guide comes with a toolkit that is not just about theoretical concepts; the toolkit guide is a roadmap for action.
It is designed to empower CSOs to adapt their organizational culture, practices, and strategies to better support social movements. By embracing a movement mindset, CSOs can become genuine allies, catalysts for change, and driving forces behind the collective pursuit of a more just, equitable, and transformative world.